WHY YOU SHOULD JOIN THE WESTERN APICULTURAL SOCIETY
Western Apicultural Society of North America, Inc. (WAS)
WAS is a non-profit, educational, beekeeping organization founded in 1978 for the benefit and enjoyment of all beekeepers in western North America. Although the primary audience of WAS is beekeepers from the western states and provinces/territories, we welcome members from anywhere in the world. The focus of WAS is on individual beekeepers and smaller beekeeping operations—to offer them useful information not usually available at the local level and to create a nurturing community of beekeepers across Western North America.
As WAS explores ways to serve our members, we are seeking directors to represent the following regions: British Columbia, Washington, California, Hawaii, Saskatchewan, Idaho, and Wyoming. We are looking for candidates with different skills in addition to being good and wise beekeepers: involvement in beekeeping education, active in local beekeeping groups, working in honeybee research, experience in business development. Please contact me if you would like to explore the possibility of being a WAS director or if you know of someone whom you think would be a good director.
We offer our members an array of benefits:
- Free Monthly Zoom webinar mini-conferences with beekeeping experts from across the nation and the world (beginning later this year, there will be a charge of $20 for non-WAS members to attend each conference)
- Free access to 2022 and mini-conference recordings, which contain a wealth of beekeeping knowledge
- The James Smith Scholarship Fund to support students studying and doing research in beekeeping.
- A growing website with information, resources, and events specifically about beekeeping in the Western U.S. and Canada.
- Social media and newsletter platforms to allow members and beekeeping groups in the West to share information relevant to bees and beekeeping.
- Support for affiliated associations, including regional information, program ideas, and organizational assistance.
- Annual conference – to be resumed in 2023 with a program oriented to give attendees practical information to help them become better beekeepers
- Being part of a strong, unique community of beekeepers and beekeeping organizations in Western North America
As a special thanks to those who attended our 2021 mini-conference presentations WAS is offering 2 for 1 WAS memberships. Join as a New Individual Member, then provide us with the name and email address, mailing address & phone number of the person you would like to gift a WAS membership at no extra charge. Offer ends on January 31st, 2022.
Etienne Tardif, WAS President