Pollinator Friendly Best Management Practices
As the planters start to roll this spring, please encourage your neighbors to implement pollinator-friendly best management practices for treated seeds.
- Observe wind speed and direction during planting and when opening seed containers.
- Fill the planter at least 10 yards inside your field to protect nearby honeybee hives and flowering plants.
- Avoid shaking the bottom of the treated seed bag when filling the planter to reduce the release of dust that could have accumulated during transport.
- For pneumatic planters, direct air exhaust downward towards the soil surface to decrease the potential for dust drift.
- Properly dispose of any spilled treated seed to minimize exposure to people, livestock, wildfire and the environment.